Monday, February 13, 2012

Reading with a baby

So I've been trying to have a better study of my scriptures lately.  I found something that works better than anything I've ever tried before :)  Reading out loud has really helped me to keep my mind focused on the scriptures.  I actually have tried it before, but I was completely alone...so I kind of felt awkward in front of myself, just reading out loud alone.  But I've been reading out loud to Nate and it's been awesome.  I know he's a baby and doesn't really understand, but I've been reading the scriptures and then applying it to his life.  Silly, you may say?  Maybe. But it helps ME too!  And I figure it'll only do good for Nate and at some point he'll begin understanding.  

Just simple things like today we read about the Liahona in the Book of Mormon.  It was guiding the people to the Promised Land and lo and behold...Laman and Lemuel decide to be disobedient and it stops working.  It doesn't start working until they humble themselves and repent.  As I'm sitting here on the floor explaining to Nate I realized how much we actually do that to ourselves. Sometimes I think I'm so familiar with the story or the concept that I forget to ACTUALLY apply it to myself. If I had been reading in my head, I probably would have just thought, "oh yeah, I remember this story; don't be wicked; don't murmur; we won't be guided if we are wicked....heard it before."  BUT...reading it and teaching Nate made me think about the principle here and why we need to be reminded of that principle over and over again.  

So, anyways, the scriptures are wonderful.  And I will keep reading out loud because it helps me :) 

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT, JANAE! Your kid is so lucky!! And ADORABLE. That little guy just keeps getting cuter and cuter, I love his huge smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a good idea! I wished that I would have talked out load more with my first. So way to be a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a primary song "God gave us families to help us become who he wants us to be." I believe that whole heartedly. I have learned so much in trying to explain the gospel in terms that my sunbeam age children will understand. It has made me look at the gospel in a whole new light. And I'm learning all kinds of new things--or relearning things I should have gotten before but didn't. LOVE it!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DON'T think reading to babies is silly! In General Conference in April 2010, I remember hearing a talk that basically said START with infants in arms. Babies can feel the Spirit too! You're the best mom!

    ReplyDelete