Sunday, August 21, 2011

Heart update

Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake referred us to Children's National Medical Center and I went for another fetal heart echocardiogram last Friday.  The doctors there were incredibly kind and helpful.  Steve had orientation for starting law school, so I had to go alone.  I got completely lost in DC on my way there, so I went in already a bit shaken up.  They made me feel comfortable and we feel blessed to work with good people.  

The update is actually not much of an update--pretty similar to the last heart echo results.  His heart continues to grow, which is good :)  But the left side continues to grow at a slower rate than the right side, so comparatively it's getting smaller.  Our little baby will still need the surgery to fix his narrow aorta, but the doctor that although the left side isn't the ideal size, it's big enough to avoid that intense surgery.  If the left side continues to get smaller they will do a surgery that works with the right side so he doesn't even use his left side of the heart.  It's fascinating that they can do that!  The doctor said at this point he doesn't think that surgery will need to be done (which is good) but there is still a chance.  So, the plan is to continue praying and fasting for the same thing--that his left side and his valves will catch up in size.  We are grateful that they are keeping up enough.  The last doctor was a little nervous that they wouldn't grow at all.  Although it's not perfectly to size, it's a miracle and a result of faith from family and friends that his heart is doing well.  

I go back to Children's National in a month for another heart echo and they will follow his progress until he's born.  The doctors we'll be working with are top in the nation and that's comforting :)  Thanks everyone for your prayers! He's definitely an active little guy inside of me.  I really feel that he's a special baby boy and the Lord will bless him and us.  

2 comments:

  1. That's what my niece had when she was born. She was given a 24 hour window to live by the doctors here in Idaho got referred to primary children's and she is 4 now almost 5. Its amazing what they can do. I will keep you baby and you in my prayers. If you need a shoulder to cry on I'm here. My niece will be having surgery sometime between now and next July for her finally surgery. I hope that everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad he is doing so well :) He is a little trooper! We miss you guys and hope you are enjoying DC!

    ReplyDelete