Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Boy Who Lost His Belly Button

Nate and I went to the library a few weeks ago and I let him pick whatever book off the shelf.  He, of course, just went for the first one he saw and didn't really care about the content.  Well, this young man chose


I took a quick flip through and thought it could be cute, kind of like a "Are You My Mother" type book where he asks everyone if they've seen his belly button.

Well, it's a rather strange book.  A quick summary to save you from checking the book out yourself out of desperate curiosity.  The boy wakes up and realizes he's missing his belly button.  So, naturally he goes to the jungle to look for it.  He asks a giraffe, gorilla, lion, and many other animals if they've seen his belly button.  They all say no but show him their own.  Then he realizes the crocodile is being very quiet, so he asks if he has one.  The croc smiles and shows him a pink belly button.  From here I will give you the actual text:

"What are you doing with my belly button?" shouted the little boy.
"I'm washing the fluff out for you," said the crocodile.
"Thanks," said the boy.  "Can I have it back now?"
"Certainly," smiled the crocodile, "Come and get it,"
So the boy took off his clothes....
He waded right into the swamp.
And...
he GRABBED it!

And that's how the story ends.

"I'm washing the fluff out for you"??????  That's weird.  

Anyways, Nate always wants me to read it to him, so I think I might go return it to the library tomorrow because every time I read it, I close the book and just don't know what to think.  Sorry to anyone who loves that story.  I do, however, sit there and wonder if animals actually do have belly buttons.  I've never noticed one on an animal before.  Do they?  Well, I googled it and if you are interested you can find your answer HERE.

1 comment:

  1. you crack me up. love reading the updates on one of my two favorite families in DC

    ReplyDelete