Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Thanksgiving in DC

I know this is WAY late...but what can I say?  Life has been packed with excitement that I haven't had the time to sit down and document life.  So here I am, weeks later, but I have lots of fun things to share :)

Thanksgiving was wonderful.  My mom, dad, and awesome brother came out to spend it with us!  It was sort of a last minute decision and I'm so happy they did!  With the age change for LDS missionaries (they can now go on missions at age 18 instead of 19) we thought that thanksgiving break was Christian's only opportunity to come out to DC before leaving.  So they came!  It was a little shorter than we would have liked but we had so much fun. 

I wasn't good at taking pictures the whole week, which I'm always so bummed about, but Dad did a better job and captured a few.  

This is at the Botanical Gardens.  It was incredible, everything made out of all plant material


We made our way around town and saw quite a bit.  We went to the Air and Space museum, Museum of Natural History, and the American History museum.  We toured the capitol, visited several memorials.  I think I was actually sore from walking so much.  My dad had never been to DC before and I knew he would love it.  I think he did and hopefully it made him hungry for more so he'll come back and see more :)

A random sick bug went around, Nate started out a little sick and then gave it to me.  It didn't last long, thank goodness, and I was better by Turkey day, but it did make for a good story.  I threw up in the National Archives building.  There I was gazing at the Declaration of Independence in a gorgeous atrium of a beautiful building when it hit me...I think I'm about to puke.  Not making it to the restroom in time, I found our empty stroller and did the job.  My poor stroller.  A lot of soap, water, and febreeze fixed it up though.  

Thanksgiving day was spent at Mt. Vernon while our turkey cooked.  It was great to be there again.  I've only been one other time and I've wanted to go back for a while.  It was beautiful with the Christmas decorations up.  Steve and I actually decided to get the annual pass so we'll hopefully be heading back a few times this year. 

It was great to spend Thanksgiving with people I'm grateful for :)  Nate LOVED having them here at our house and Steve and I loved having such good company.  The feast was delicious, thanks to my awesome mother!  The boys helped too and their dishes were delicious as well.  I love the holiday of Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment