Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Livin' the History!

 It so happened to be Spring Break last week!  It was wonderful to have Steve all to myself 24/7 (I guess I shared him with Nate too, but that's okay)
We decided to take a trip to learn some good history.  We left Thursday morning and went straight to Yorktown.  We loved it.  When it comes to history...I don't really know anything.  I regret not paying attention in history classes all through school.  So, I learned a lot.  Yorktown is famous for the surrender of a British army under General Cornwallis which secured independence for the United States. It was really cool to read the history, but also to see the cannons and other weapons used and see the trenches they dug.  It's amazing they actually fought battles like that.

Yorktown Battlefield and Yorktown Victory Center





 




Friday morning we went to Colonial Williamsburg, which was awesome.  If any of you are familiar with Nauvoo, it's very similar.  Lots of buildings full of history and people dressed up to explain the significance of each building.  We could have spent more time there than we did.  Guess we'll have to go back :)

Colonial Williamsburg




















Saturday was spent in Jamestown, which I think might have been my favorite. :) It was America's first permanent English colony (13 years before the pilgrims arrived).  Captain John Smith was the leader of the colony.  So...of course that means Pocahontas was there too!  

Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown




















 


I could have spent a ton of time there.  The museum was amazing and I wish I could have read everything. 

It went by quickly but was a blast to be together.  We got pretty lucky with decent weather and sunshine.  I'm glad we got to take off for a few days.  We will hopefully be going back because there is a big roller coaster park close by that wasn't opened yet.  We will be visiting that someday :)  

1 comment:

  1. 1.i love little family vacations!
    2.i visited jamestown as a kid and havent forgotten it.
    3.nate is supppper cute.
    4.we should come visit these places with you-geoff loves historical sites and we all love all of you

    ReplyDelete