Sunday, November 13, 2011

Lessons Learned

The Children's Hospital is a sacred place.  Spending 2 weeks day and night there taught me some cool lessons.  I'd like to share them with all of you :)

1) The Lord loves his children! 
3 Nephi 17 went through my mind as I saw so many sweet little children.  I know the Savior was with them comforting each of them.

2) Even the newest of babies can exercise faith.  
Seeing Nate go into surgery with a countenance of trust and faith in the Lord.  I just knew he was communicating with the Lord and trusting in him.  I believe children have a special relationship with Heavenly Father.  I saw it in all the children I passed at the hospital.

3) I need to pray for more people
I was so impressed by how many strangers told me they would pray for me and my baby.  The janitor who came in to clean my room said, "Excuse me, Ma'am, I'm just here for housekeeping but I want you to know your baby will be in my prayers."  So many strangers and newly made friends would say they would pray for Nate.  It was very humbling to me because how often do I tell a stranger I'll pray for them?  Not very.  And when if I do say that, do I actually say a specific prayer for that person? I got thinking about the covenants I've made and it is my duty, as a member of the Savior's church, to represent him!  What better way to represent him than to pray for others for real.  I don't think just saying, "Oh, you're in my prayers" is good enough.  We should actually say a real sincere prayer when we tell someone we will.

4) People are good.
We made some good friends while in the hospital.  I'll mention 2 in particular.  Brenda is the grandmother of a baby with a malignant brain tumor.  She and my mom got to be good friends because they were both kicked out of the rooms at 8pm (which made me mad...but that's another story) They slept in neighboring recliners in the Family Sleeping Area and got to be close friends.  She is such a sweet woman.  By the time we left, we exchanged contact information and we gave her a Book of Mormon.  Steve was able to talk to her about the temple a little. This woman was so receptive and was truly full of goodness.
The other friend is Billy.  He and his wife are the legal guardians of their grandson who came in for hip surgery.  There were complications and he ended up having more surgeries and more problems.  Billy was not happy about it.  Billy was a BIG black guy who sometimes wore a do-rag and sometimes a baseball hat to the side.  Whenever he saw me he'd ask, "How yo Momma doin'?  An' yo' baby? You sleepin nuff'?"  He was great.  When I finally got to meet his grandson, I bawled.  I had grown to love Billy and even his grandson that I just met and seeing him in such horrible shape made me cry.  Billy didn't see, but his wife did.  Mom and I returned to our room and about 5 minutes later Billy comes bursting in, whips open the curtain, "My wife tell me you be cryin'!  There be no need for you girls cryin'!  I tell my wife, 'that girl an' her momma, they coo!  They be real cool! You know, you shouldn't be cryin' for my boy, just pray fer im' okay!  Just pray and everything will be alright"  Then he opened his big arms wide and hugged us, mom on one side, me on the other :).  As funny as it was, it was a special experience for me. 

5) Grandmas should not be considered visitors
Someday I'm going to make my own hospital and Grandparents will NOT be kicked out at 8pm.  I wanted my mom AND my husband there and they wouldn't let me.  

6) The smallest acts of service mean so much
People have been so good to us and the littlest things came at the perfect times.  Someone made lunches for Steve when he went to school straight from the hospital.  Dave and Nikki brought us dinner several times and also brought me random things I forgot, like socks :)  So many little things meant the world to me.  

7) Family is important to everyone
Sometimes I forget that family is not only important to me and to other families in the LDS church, but it's so important to everyone.  It was neat to watch other families come together to pray and support each other.  

There are so many other little lessons I learned there.  I feel that my life has been changed, not only because I now have a baby, but because of the sacred and special experiences I had while at the hospital.  I will never forget it! I am so grateful for people!...for SO many people.  I am grateful that a good man got an education to learn how to do major surgery on the heart the size of a newborn's fist.  Really?!!!!  
THAT IS A HUGE MIRACLE!   

8 comments:

  1. It doesn't surprise me that you found so many good things out of such a difficult situation. Thanks for sharing them. You are an example to us all. I am glad Nate is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your little guy. So glad that everything went well with his surgery. I don't know you well but I can tell that you are a really strong and wonderful person and a great example and were a great friend to Brett. I really enjoyed reading this post. Having children is the best. They are so special and really do have the sweetest little spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks janae. for your post and example. sending love to baby nate and you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are amazing!!! Man, I can't help but admire your faith and strength. thanks for sharing all of your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this! It is a good reminder to me of what a special place I get to work. I have had so many special and sacred experiences at work. I love my job and I love meeting parents like you. So glad baby Nate is home and doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a neat post! Sounds like you had a neat experience with little Nate's surgery and hospital stay. Sorry they kicked your mom out at night - that's terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading this too! I love how optimistic and faithful you are and always have been since I have known you. I admire how you take the time to reflect on things and learn from them. I am so glad that you and Nate are doing well. That little guy is quite a fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janae you are SO awesome!!! This post made me smile so much. I know the Lord placed you with this trial because he knew you could handle it! You are both amazing and I hope to be like you when I grow up :)

    ReplyDelete