Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Our TV shows

With no TV, Steve and I have really enjoyed hulu.  There's honestly some weird stuff on there, but there are a few gems if you look hard enough.  One of those is the Dick Van Dyke Show.  That show is hilarious!  We love it and have enjoyed watching episode or 2 to relax before bed.  Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore as a couple really makes an enjoyable 25 minutes :)  

The other show that I've been watching is...no laughing please...The Biggest Loser!  I love that show!  It shows on TV, I think on Tuesdays, so hulu puts it up Wednesdays.  I love seeing how determined these people are to lose weight.  Today I even cried while watching it as some contestants got to talk about their families.  I don't think there's a single person on the show that hasnt' been emotional a time or two expressing how they want to change their lives.  Now, I don't know how healthy it really is to lose 10+ pounds per week...but I'm glad there are people out there trying :)  (And if you're following the show...I'm really sad Mike went home.  I liked that guy and I think he could have gone far.)  

Having studied Public Health at BYU, I'm a believer in being healthy and it's exciting to see these people getting healthy. I recently started working a bit from home on some medical records, cleaning up charts and making them more readable.  I am absolutely amazed at how many people have heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and other diseases resulting from lifestyle choices.  Not to be all "Health preachy" or anything, but this epidemic of obesity really is scary.  It was emphasized in ALL my classes the last few semesters of school how much longer and better of a life we can live if we just follow some simple rules.  If we eat healthy, exercise, and keep our weight in control, we can not only live longer...but we can live longer and happier. I'm determined to be a healthy person and to teach my children to be healthy too (especially since the doctor called my baby chubby and he's not even born yet.) And I know this may sound cheesy, but...I'm so proud of the people I know (and the ones on TV) for their efforts to be healthy :)  (I know I'm a cheeseball...but I really am proud of them!)

Okay...thank you to those who endured and read through this post....I needed to feel like I was in my public health classes again :) I miss them sometimes. 

4 comments:

  1. We'll have to check out the Dick Van Dyke show. Brian and I and even James love the Cosby show. And I love The Biggest Loser! Great show---Brian is not much of a fan though he can't stand how much they cry. But I love every minute! And don't worry about your baby being chubby---babies need to be chubby and fat for their brain development! (It's kids, teens, and adults that should strive to not be overweight).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watch a lot of tv too... you should watch psych, it is funny! Our little guy is getting chubby too- they will e perfect bff's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Biggest Loser! Don't be ashamed you watch it! I admit that I do tear up sometimes too. It's just so inspirational!

    Oh, and I like chubby babies the best, so keep him that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. janae, you guys crack me up! Love it :) And thanks for the tips on hulu...i've become a hater of hulu b/c it really is so hard to find good shows! So maybe i'll have to give it another shot!

    ReplyDelete