Monday, October 8, 2012

A rich person party

So there's some story to this.  Nate and I went to the doctor one day and a man asked us to be in a video.  He said it was just a little video to show what InovaCares Clinics do for their patients.  I was excited, I actually showered and got ready for the day that day :)  So Nate and I got fed lunch and then did our thing and they said they'd send me a link to the video (which they still haven't done yet, but you better believe I'll post it when they do.)  

Anyways, several weeks later, I get an email thanking me for participating in the video.  It explained that it will be shown at the annual Inova Gala.  This is put on for people who donate, or potentially might donate, to the Inova hospitals.  They invited me and my family to attend and asked if I would be willing to stand up and say thank you to everyone for helping Inova provide the care for my family.  It was a fancy dinner and a black tie event so I would get to dress up and go on a fancy date with Steve.  Well, it just so happened that it was during the Priesthood session of General Conference.  So that was a bummer.

But, I happen to be lucky enough to have cool friends.  Ginny, one of my all time favorite people and roommate from our BYU single days, was my date/guest :)  We had a lot of fun.  When we got there we had to register.  They gave us a little iphone looking thing to do our bidding for the auction and swiped our credit cards for easy checkout (as if we were going to bid $1,000 on something) We went around and ate the fancy appetizers, refused the fancy white wine, and laughed as we pretended to bid on these things worth hundreds of dollars. 

That's my bidding number for the live auction...Haha, it made me think of Storage Wars, that show where they bid on abandoned storage units. 
 There was a photo booth and we took some pictures and then went into the dinner. It was so fancy and beautiful in there.  We had assigned seats and we felt important.  


The rather interesting center piece.  It was for sale too in case anyone couldn't resist.

Anyways, we enjoyed a beautiful salad with a side of goat cheese mousse and a feast of steak, fish, and sweet pea flan (meat was amazing, the flan was weird...).  

They showed the video that Nate and I are in (Nate was the star by the way :)) and then I stood up on the stage and thanked Inova and all those that have made it possible for us to have good care.  

This is me doing the sound check before it started.  That man wasn't really standing there staring at me when I got up for real.

Then they brought out the dessert, which was way too fancy looking to even taste good. 

And then we were entertained by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.  I had never heard of them and I was a bit suspicious of the whole Voodoo part of their name, but I loved them!  They were a band that played jazzy swing type music.  They were so fun.  


You can hear what they sounded like on the video.  People were out there dancing too.  I wish Steve could have busted out his swing moves with me.


Then Ginny and I explored the fancy hotel for a minute and used the restroom that's nicer than my bedroom and went home.  It was quite a night. 

They don't do paper towels in the bathroom, they have a basket full of hand towels and a hamper on the side.


I know it's silly to post a picture of my hair, but I was really proud of it.
It was a super easy Pinterest hair-do :)
So, not really that big of a deal, but I'm telling you, I felt like a celebrity for a minute.  I had my hair up as nice as I can do without help from my mom, in my nicest clothes, cameras flashing all around me as I'm speaking to a bunch of incredibly rich people, some of which are kind of famous.
Afterwards, the CEO of all Inova hospitals came up to me and thanked me. I had a moment of fame and it was kind of exciting.  But after being there, I am grateful to be where I am at this stage in my life.  I love being a mom and staying home with Nate.  I love living on the student budget and enjoying the simple things.  I love eating homemade cookies or Safeways brand ice cream instead of fancy desserts.  And I love eating vegetables in veggie form instead of flan form.  But I really am grateful for generous people that donate so much to things like hospitals and clinics because it does make a difference for me.  


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to go. It looks like you had a lot of fun. Glad you got a night out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it was so fun!! Can't wait to see the commercial or whatever it was! Post it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! I am so glad you got spoiled for the night. And how fun that Ginny got to go with you! Your little guy is sure growing and is cute as a button! :)

    ReplyDelete